Chop Suey by Edward Hopper

Yes, we are talking about an oil painting, not a song.
Even though the one from SOAD is brilliant!



Chop Suey is one of my favorite paintings by Edward Hopper, right next to Nighthawks.
There is something special about it, something out of place, strange and attractive. My attention is particularly attracted to the porcelain-white face of a woman sitting at the table.

During my graphic art studies, I liked this painting very much, mostly for its strong brush moves and composition. It seemed to me to be a perfect example of rough art and not paying attention to tiny movements with a brush, and at the same time was a perfect example showing the artist's great craftmanship. 

For a few years I forgot about this painting, however one quote from Wikiart told me to come back to it:

According to art scholar David Anfam, one "striking detail of Chop Suey is that its female subject faces her doppelgänger." Others have pointed out it would not be so unusual for two women to be wearing similar hats, and that it is presumptuous to claim doppelgängers when one subject's face is not visible to the viewer. The painting has an interior subject matter, being inside of a cafe, and does not focus on any one given figure. As with many of Hopper's works, the painting features close attention to the effects of light on his subjects.

The idea that a woman sits opposite her doppelgänger is brilliant!

This adds these unusual motif to painting, which I felt while studying, or even playing The Longest Journey from 1999 back in my chilhood. 

In addition, I have the impression that this painting is somehow related to another image of Edward Hopper. Titled "Automat".
I don't know exactly what, but I cannot reject the impression that "something" connects them with each other. Maybe even a woman in both paintings is the same person, only in different moments of life. But this is topic for another blog post, and I will surely write about the "Automat" another time.

I hope that with this entry I encouraged you to get acquainted with the works of Edward Hopper, or even to take the brush into your own hands.

See you later!

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Learn how to code with SoloLearn

NOSTALGIA

Hello world!